Yesterday, Cole had played with every toy in the house and was just whiny...nothing seemed to satisfy him. That's when I had an epiphany. I got out the crayons and paper and he was so excited. He walked to his chair and was ready to begin coloring.
We've tried coloring many times in the past, but he's always wanted to eat the crayons, throw them on the floor, and wad up the paper. I was always the one that ended up drawing the pictures :-) Yesterday though, we had a first. I would say "show me how you can color" and he would scribble on the paper. He just laughed and laughed (so did I)...who knew coloring could be so much fun? Although this lasted for only 15 minutes or so, I love spending these quality moments with him.
We also have to say a big "thank you" to Gigi (my mom) for giving me the idea to make little crayon discs for him to hold. I took extra crayons that I had from my teaching days, broke them into little pieces, and placed each color into a separate mini-muffin tin. I turned the oven on low and let the pieces melt together. They cooled in no time and are the perfect crayons for Cole's little hands to hold. There's also no paper and they haven't broken yet!
One more note...Cole has learned that when we have the camera and we say "cheese" that it means to smile. I would tell him to say cheese and he would show me the biggest grin!! Michael and I kept saying it over and over...oh, the little things that bring such joy!

2 comments:
I love the crayon idea. Tell your mom "thank you"!
aww how CUTE!!! The crayon idea was neat, I will have to remember that! :)
Post a Comment