Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Halloween Preview

For the past few weeks, I have been racking my brain about what Cole should be for Halloween.  I'm treasuring these few years before Super-heros and dinosaurs become the focus and mommy's suggestions become 'silly' and 'lame' (is lame even an 'in' word anymore?).  I've also wanted to create Cole's costume (or at least parts of it) myself over these past three years instead of buying something ready-made from the store.  Sooo...with all that in mind, thinking of what he could be has been a little frustrating.  After changing my mind numerous times, both Cole and I decided he would be an Indian.  

Last fall, my parents brought him a handmade headdress, tomahawk, drum, and mallet from Cherokee near Gatlinburg.  Cole loves playing with them, and I knew he wouldn't mind wearing the headdress since he's used to it (that was part of my dilemma as well...thinking of something he would actually wear the entire evening :)).  Here are some things we're adding to his accessories:
Indian Vest - Using a tan pillowcase...decorating with paints, paper, glue, and markers.
Necklace - dying macaroni various colors and stringing on yarn with a paper medallion
Pant decorations - Sprucing up his brown pants with some leather and fringe for the evening.
Face Paint - Hopefully he'll let me put some colorful 'warrior paint' on his face :)

So far, we've practiced the vest using a paper grocery bag (wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing before cutting the fabric).  Can't wait to see how my little Indian turns out! 


Halloween 2007 - 11 months old - A scarecrow
My, how he's changed!!


Halloween 2008 - 23 months old - A train engineer
I fashioned his train from a cardboard box.  I cut/folded/painted/glued the pieces and added the shoulder straps with yarn.

What will YoU be for Halloween???  Always looking for great ideas!

2 comments:

mom said...

I can't believe the changes from year to year. I guess when I see him so often, the 'baby' look disappears before I know it. I think the paper bag vest is adorable! Just use that instead of trying to find the material.

Holly said...

I have not seen the scarecrow pics before- precious! He's changed so much, but still has that sweet little face! Karis is only 9 months, but it already blows our mind to see how much she has changed since her newborn days. It is already making my head spin to see how fast all of our little ones are growing up!

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com