This Christmas season, a new friend has come to visit and reside at the Johnson house. Meet Buddy the Elf :)
Now that Cole is old enough, we began the 'Elf on the Shelf' tradition. If you haven't heard of this cute Christmas activity, here's a brief overview...
First, you must purchase the Elf on the Shelf book kit (my mom found a great deal at Hallmark before Thanksgiving). All kits have the same book but have different elves to choose from (dark/light hair, brown/blue eyes, dark/light skin, etc. Michael wishes the elves could look more 'manly', but hey...you take what you get). Then, the evening of November 30, while the kids are sleeping, you take out the elf and place him somewhere in your home. When the kiddos wake, you say that a new friend has come from the North Pole to visit for a month. After they find the elf, you bring out the book to read. In a rhyming, sing-song pattern, the book explains what the kids must do: they must give the elf a name, refrain from touching him (he might loose his magic if touched by human hands!), look for him each morning when they wake, and be GOOD because the elf reports to Santa every evening when they sleep. How cute is that!?!? The elf then leaves for good on December 24...until next year!
Cole has loved searching for Buddy (name from the movie "Elf"...we thought it was fitting) every morning. Buddy's been on the light fixtures, swinging from the ceiling fan, in stockings, atop the Christmas tree, and other fun places. He's has been pretty tame thus far, but I think it's time for him to create some mischief. A few friends of mine also have elves visiting their homes...their elves have rolled the kiddos rooms, had marshmallow snowball fights during the night, and ransacked Christmas cookies :)
All in all, it's just a fun tradition to keep while the little ones are young and still full of wonder. Remember to be GOOD this season...you never know who's watching!
Merry Christmas!



2 comments:
We have one of these but don't use him. Alice Ann gave it to Will last year and I think he was already too old to start it, he did not believe it, lol. We did not get him out this year. I wish we had started it when Will was Cole's age because I think he would still believe. I love how the elves are getting into mischief! Love the marshmallow snowball fights and toilet papering the kids rooms! Too fun :) We do have a little ornament I got at Hallmark a few years ago called "Pickles." He is a little elf and goes with the German tradition of putting pickles on the tree. He is adorable and there are several games you can play with him. The one we are doing is hide and seek. Will started out hiding him and each day we have to look for him. The person that finds him gets to hide him again for the next day. He has been in the light in the kitchen, on top of the clock, under a pillow, it has been fun :) I will have to take a picture and post about our special elf this year too!
YAY!! I can't wait until Briley is old enough to understand Buddy and his little eyes watching:) Maybe next year?? I KNOW that Cole is being a very good boy..buddy has it easy at the Johnson house!
Post a Comment