While reading through Impress Your Kids last week, I came across a post about a prayer box a mom had made for her young daughter. I had been wanting to do something similar with Cole - this was just the jumpstart I needed.
Cole loves to pray and it's been amazing to see how his prayers have transitioned from repeating mom and dad to sincere thoughts and words from his own heart. He prays for family members, friends, orphans, and Haiti. He gives thanks for our home, clothes, food, books, nightlights, etc. . .this list can get quite lengthy at times :) It's so precious to watch his belief when he prays healing for the sick or comfort for those hurting. How I wish we could all recapture such innocent, childlike faith!
Although Cole prays for many things, I thought it would be great to create a prayer box where we can put pictures of people/places that he prays for regularly. The contents will change as he gets older and as new requests arise and others are answered. We decorated a shoebox with paper, markers, glitter shapes (Cole's request), and Scripture verses about prayer (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, Matthew 6, Ephesians 6:18). On the lid, Cole wanted to put sequins of things God had made so we added birds, butterflies, moons, and leaves.


Inside, we placed pictures of family members, friends, our home, etc. Some have specific requests and others we are simply thankful for. On the back of each photo, I taped an index card with specific prayers for that picture. Although Cole usually comes up with his own, it's a great lead-in if needed.
This box is also a great way for his little mind to connect his prayer with a tangible object. He prays for the orphans, but has no real connection to what that means. To help, I've printed pictures of little children - specifically those in Haiti where he sent a few of his toys and clothes and where our church is in the process of constructing an orphan village. Seeing the faces and places where these boys and girls live has given him a connection; therefore his prayers have changed. He's even given the children in the pictures names :)
We use the box all throughout the day. I keep it in plain sight and if he wants to look through it while we're playing, it's fine with me. What better way to teach an attitude of constant prayer? At mealtimes, he can pick a special picture from the box to add to our prayer and we leave it open for bedtime prayers as well. He's already told me that I need a picture of his friend Ansley (a 3 yr. old battling cancer) and a picture of the Saharawi tribe. Guess I better get working on that!

3 comments:
You really are the most amazing mom I know! Your blog inspires me so much!! Your kids are so blessed!!
Looks like a good idea... I sure hope my picture is in there!! :)I haven't see you guys in a while! You will have to come over and check out the new place soon!
Thank you so much for linking to us! I love the box you guys made...the prayer prompts on the back are a great idea!
:)
amanda {at}impress your kids{dot}com
Post a Comment