Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I'm Still Here :)

*Disclaimer*:  Post could be unusually long with picture overload.  Read at your own risk. . .

Has it really been a WHOLE month since I've blogged?!?!  CrAzY!  At least I have a great excuse :)  I usually blog, check email, etc. when Cole naps, but the fatigue has been so prevalent this pregnancy that I find myself napping right along with Cole these days.  I also remember the lack of sleep that's coming, so I'm stocking up :)  
Now that we've entered the second trimester (w00-hoo!), here's to hoping that energy will return and I can get back to chronicling the Johnson adventures.

I can finally say that fall has arrived!  With cooler nights and somewhat cooler days, our family has enjoyed being outside and admiring God's beautiful changing creation.  Trips to the zoo, pumpkin patch, and park have entertained our days and our first bonfire of the season is this weekend.  Can't wait!
Zoo with the Gamble Family

Love this shot - all six kiddos :)
The new flamingos. . . a definite hit!
Pumpkin Patch time!  A fun playdate with our MOPS group.
Cole with little Wyatt on our hayride to the patch.  He can't wait to be a big brother!


Cole and Cohen - we've taken this same shot every year since they've been born.  Precious!



We also spent a long weekend in Gatlinburg with Kyle and Laura - a much needed relaxing getaway.  Shopping, strolling the strip, grilling, eating out, and fun at the Chimneys made for such a trip.  We are anxious to return for Thanksgiving!

The breathtaking view from our chalet












Birthdays, birthdays, birthdays have been the theme these past few weeks.  Over the past month, we've celebrated 6 family birthdays, including yours truly.  What fun!  These special days deserve a post of their own. . . coming soon!

Along with the fall weather, we've enjoyed some yummy fall treats.  Here are a few of our favorite recipes. . .

Iced Pumpkin Cookies:
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter; softened
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 c. canned pumpkin puree (or homemade)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine first 7 ingredients (dry) in a large bowl and set aside.  Cream together butter and sugar.  Add pumpkin, egg, and vanilla to butter mixture and beat together.  Add in dry ingredients; mix well.  Drop onto a cookie sheet by the spoonful and flatten slightly (back of a spoon dipped in flour works perfectly).  Bake for 15-20 minutes.

Icing:
3 Tbsp. milk (may need more for icing consistency)
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. powdered sugar

While cookies are baking, make glaze by mixing all ingredients.  Cool cookies on a wire rack and drizzle glaze on top.  YUM!  These are a hit everywhere I go. . . my favorite pumpkin cookie recipe thus far.
From my friend Brandee, found at allrecipes.com.  Makes about 24 cookies.

Scarecrow Crunch:
4 c. Quaker Oatmeal square cereal
4 c. tiny twist pretzels (I like to cover mine with chocolate)
22 oz. bag of autumn mix candy or candy corn
2 c. Reeses pieces or mini Reeses cups
6 oz. box of chocolate Teddy Grahams
2 (6 oz.) boxes of caramel corn (I prefer to pop kettle corn and stir in melted white chocolate :) )
Mix all ingredients and place in a sealed container.
This is what I made for Cole's Treasure Creek teachers, MOPS teachers, and my MOPS table.  Place in cute fall bags/containers and it's the perfect fall treat to share!  Thanks Audrey for the recipe! 

Candy Corn Cupcakes:

Aren't these cute?!  Click here to visit Brittany's blog for this simple recipe.  I can't wait to make these with Cole and share them with his class!  (I'll probably do mini-cupcake size for the little guys :) )

Whew!  A small glimpse into our blessed lives.  So thankful for all the Lord's goodness towards us and can't wait to see what's in store!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations!!! I am just learning of the new baby and am thrilled for you and your family! I love having 2 kids- they enjoy playing together (for the most part) and keep each other company.

I just started a blog last week, after much consideration... I love reading about what everyone is doing and finally decided to start one of our own seeing we don't live near family and old friends. Most importantly I love hearing of such GREAT BLESSINGS such as your upcoming addition!!!

Audrey said...

What BEAUTIFUL pictures!!
Congrats on your 2nd trimester, hooray!! :-)
Audrey

Brandee said...

Ok, the candy corn cupcakes are ADORABLE! I don't have anything to make them for, but they are the cutest :)

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com