Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Celebrating Spring

The arrival of spring brings so much to be explored. . . especially by little hands and feet!  Cole has loved watching new life sprout all around us and I've enjoyed teaching him about our wonderful Creator.
To welcome spring, I thought a 7-day lesson on Creation would be a great activity.  With some help from a few internet sites, I put together a fun mini-study packed with Scripture, books, songs, and crafts.

Because of the Resurrection holiday, we took a detour from our Creation study and focused on Jesus.  We've only completed Days 1-3, but we are both having a blast!  We'll hopefully finish this week and then move on to a study of Jonah and the Big Fish. . . especially since OBEYING has been a key word around here lately :)  

Day 1:  Light, Day, Night - Read Genesis 1:1-5 (I found a great site that has printable individual picture books for each day of Creation.  The pictures reinforce the Scripture text).  Make Day/Night craft, read text in a dark room using a flashlight for the 'light' God created.


Day 2:  Space between the waters, Sky - Genesis 1:6-8.  Use cottonballs to 'sponge' paint clouds.

Day 3:  Land, Oceans, Plants, Trees - Genesis 1:9-13.  Stamp art using apples, pears, and other seeded fruit with chocolate pudding 'ink'.  Make a handprint sunflower and plant sunflower seeds.
I just beamed when Cole looked outside one day while eating lunch and said, "Oh God, the trees are beautiful!  Thank you God for creating the trees on Day 3."  Love it!! 

Day 4:  Sun, Moon, Stars - Genesis 1:14-19.  Make a suncatcher and shoebox solarium.

Day 5:  Ocean creatures, Birds - Genesis 1:20-23.  Magnet memory verse fishing game.  Make a 'bird's nest' snack with jellybean eggs.

Day 6:  Land Animals and Man - Genesis 1:24, 27, 31.  Making a mirror and a "I Am Special" book. 

This is just a touch of what we've done to celebrate spring and give thanks to God for all He has made.  How do you celebrate spring with your kids?    

1 comment:

Christine (iDreamofClean) said...

Adrian, you are so creative! I'm bookmarking this so Eli and I can do it in a few years. So much to learn from you!

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com