Thursday, April 8, 2010

Rita's Has Come To Tennessee!


Seven years ago (has it really been that long?), Michael and I traveled to Pennsylvania with our dear friends the Woodliefs and enjoyed a few of the famous sites around Philly and NYC.  Although Ground Zero, the Liberty Bell, and other landmarks were amazing to experience, a favorite had to be Rita's Water Ice.  

Shane talked about this Italian ice/custard concoction for days and finally introduced us one evening.  The little walk-up eatery was packed with customers and I would soon see why. . . it's heaven in a cup!  Rita's serves custard, Italian ice, cones, shakes, and other menu-regulars, but the Gelati is what takes the cake.  It begins with a creamy, rich custard flavor of your choice on the bottom (vanilla, chocolate, raspberry, or swirl), then a layer of flavored ice, then more custard on top.  Sounds so simple, but is OH SO GOOD! 

Since Rita's was mainly located in the northern states, our cravings throughout the years have yet to be satisfied. . . until last week.  Michael was driving through Hermitage and spotted a shop.  He immediately called me with the news and couldn't believe (upon stopping) that it had been here since 2008!  

We took Cole this past Monday and he tried some as well. . . which is unusual since he doesn't like ice cream :)  He was done after a few bites, but Mommy and Daddy savored our Mango Gelatis (vanilla custard with Mango flavored ice - yummy!!)  I see this as a regular summer destination!



2 comments:

Holly said...

Jared and I quickly discovered Rita's soon after we first moved to Philly. My absolute favorite dish there was the cookies and cream water ice. Considering the fact that it was water ice and not ice cream, it was surprisingly very creamy. They only served it on certain days, so I just had to resort to getting a pint of it to keep at home when it was available. Glad to see it made it down here!

Allen and Jessica said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! I can't wait to try it!! I love italian ice!! Thanks for sharing! :) PS: The zoo next wednesday sounds amazing! What time??

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com