It's that time of year again. . . both kids and teachers alike are restless, itching for the days of summer. Oh how I remember those feelings as I counted down the days over the years with my first graders. I LOVED the last days of school. Not just because a long, much-needed break was arriving, but because of all the FUN we had winding down from the year. Instead of rigorous schoolwork (yes, even in first grade), we would spend the days spelling with Play-Doh, writing about upcoming vacations in our journals, enjoying field trips and Field Day, eating Popsicles after recess, and signing each other's yearbooks.
It's hard to believe that those years are now memories and I'm experiencing another realm of these end-of-school days. I'm now watching my son, the student, enjoy his last days of Treasure Creek. My how fast this year has gone! Watching Cole transition from a somewhat shy little boy into an outgoing personality has been amazing. Not only has he grown academically, and physically, but he's made so many friends and talks often about how much he enjoys his classmates and teachers. Most of all, I love watching his love for Jesus be nurtured as he learns new praise songs, Bible stories, and sees the heart of Christ in action by wonderful women of God.
We were blessed again this year with two fabulous teachers. Mrs. Missy and Mrs. Christy have loved on our son and treated him like one of their own. We were told about every tear, every laugh, and every accomplishment. He was always praised and encouraged and was greeted with a hug and kiss most mornings. They took the time to learn Cole's personality, strengths, and what he enjoyed. We couldn't have asked for two sweeter ladies to love on our precious boy!
To show our appreciation, I wanted to do something special and hand-made for our teachers. I've had my share of coffee mugs and apple notepads over the years and wanted something that they would use and enjoy :) I ran across an idea in Family Fun magazine and thought I'd see if the class wanted to participate. To my surprise (and happiness!), EVERY parent in the class loved the idea and donated $$ or gift cards to our project.
The idea. . .
A flower basket gift card holder. How's that for a title?
With donations, I was able to purchase six gift cards for each teacher ($10 Lifeway, $10 Bath and Body Works, $10 Panera, $10 Starbucks, $20 Target, and $20 Regal Cinemas). I also purchased two potted plants.
Using bamboo skewers and a little creativity, I made six paper 'flowers' to house each gift card and stuck them in the potted plant. They turned out so cute and I think Cole's teachers will love them!
Mrs. Missy and Mrs. Christy, we love you very much and thank you for such a great year!
To all my fellow teacher out there (former or present), know that you are appreciated as well and here's to a wonderful summer!

2 comments:
What a CUTE, CUTE idea! I may have to make Mrs. Burris one :) I think i will email Shannon and it be from her and I as room moms this year....I will let you know.
Luv u girl!
Adrian, you are so super creative!
Post a Comment