Along with most of the modern world, I've hopped aboard the Pinterest train and absolutely love it (in moderation of course). The ideas are endless and organizing and keeping all of my favorite kid activities, homeschool resources, decor ideas, and yummy recipes in one place is a huge plus for this busy wife and mama.
We've always talked about the coming and birth of Christ leading up to the season, but have never formally participated in advent. I wanted this year to be different and set out looking for ideas that might work for our family. Pinterest provided a wealth of info., but I ended up blending a few ideas and adding a little creativity of my own :)
Voila. . . our $5 advent banner.
(And can I just say that I love the addition they make to our current naked windows)
I began with small paper bags from Hobby Lobby, unused gift tags from last year, leftover scrapbook paper, mini clothespins, and thin white ribbon.
Cover each bag with paper
Glue on gift tag and write numbers 1-24
String ribbon across the window and hang with clothespins
LOVE it!
In each pocket is a daily activity - some of which are:
Watch a Christmas movie and eat popcorn
It just so happened to be The Polar Express 3D. . . oh yes. Super. Fun.
Drive around looking at lights in our pajamas
Write a letter to Jesus
Make treats for our neighbors and friends
Take our local Salvation army bell ringer a Starbucks hot chocolate
Camp out under the Christmas tree

Buy a new Christmas CD and listen to it
Make ornaments for family
Take treats (big container of homemade Christmas Chex Mix) to our assigned fire station
Make wrapping paper


Have a family game night
Buy something for a child in need (just picked our angel from Cole's MDO - a five year old kindergardener that LOVES art stuff. . . a boy after Cole's own heart!)
There are also Scriptures with our activities that we discuss each evening - basically following the Jesse tree principle. Next year I plan on keeping our fall blessing tree, spray painting the twigs, adding some ribbon, and making it our Jesse tree. We'll hang clip art ornaments (or if I'm feeling extremely crafty, I'll make some) for each day.
I love watching God's Word take root in Cole's young heart as well as awaken a new desire in both Michael and I. It's living, active, and always relevant. Thank you Lord for your Word, and for sending The Word as flesh to live among us. What an indescribable gift.

No comments:
Post a Comment