Saturday, February 28, 2009

I'm A Big Kid Now

For the most part, parenting and mothering has been a natural for me; but now I'm heading into uncharted waters...potty training. For about a month now, Cole has let me know when his diaper needed to be changed. I probably should've started with the training then, but put it off (mostly because I had (and still have) NO idea how this needs to take place).
He likes to flush the "big potty" as we call it, but has been terrified to sit on it. I wasn't sure how he would do when we bought him a potty of his own, but it turns out that he LOVES it! We bought him a potty last night and he has wanted to sit on it constantly...clothes on and all. He likes carrying it around the house and especially likes taking off the seat and wearing it on his head...hilarious! We bought him one that looks close to a real toilet...they had ones shaped like cars, trucks, etc., but we didn't want him to think he could then pee on his actual car and truck toys! This one will also be great to keep for any future kiddos, boy or girl.

We also bought his first pack of Pull-ups. He loved the Cars theme on them and wore one around the house all morning. After lunch I thought, hmmm...I bet he'll have to go to the potty soon since he just drank lots of juice. So, we grabbed some books and he sat on the potty as I read to him. After finishing three books, I figured he wasn't going to do anything...he got up to go play and I noticed that he had used the potty! I had no idea! We clapped, jumped, yelled, sang (you would've thought we just won a million dollars). He was so excited! I grabbed the phone to call Michael and let Cole tell him his big accomplishment. As I continued to talk with Michael, out of the corner of my eye I'm watching Cole run around the room (mind you he is still naked from the waist down...he just went potty, no worries...right?) Well, my excitement was short lived as I watch my sweet boy pee on the carpet. I hung up with Michael and couldn't help laughing as I looked at Cole. We then talked about how we put pee-pee IN the POTTY. Hmmm...maybe this won't be as easy as I thought...

Showing off his new pull-ups...love the outfit, lol.

2 comments:

John, Angela, and Briley Barker said...

That is SO exciting!!! You can become an expert and tell me all about it soon. I can't WAIT for that day!

Holly said...

Hey,that's progress! Andrew got a "big boy" (and by that I mean little boy) potty too, but he uses it as a drum set instead :) I guess there is something to the resonance of the plastic toilet bowl under the lid that he likes!

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com