Monday, February 2, 2009

Volunteer Suggestions

Okay friends...I need your help. With all the emphasis on missions this past month, our small groups are moving to a new "schedule". Groups usually meet once a week on campus or in a home and we go through a curriculum together. Beginning this month, we will move to a 2-1-1 module. Two weeks we will study our curriculum as usual, one week we devote to a service/mission project, and one week we plan a fellowship outing. Our group is pumped about getting involved in missions both locally and globally...now we just need some ideas! We've got quite a few floating around, but would like some more suggestions as well. Our group consists of families with teenagers and families with small children. We'd like to find something where we could ALL serve.
Some recent suggestions were Cottage Cove Urban Ministries in Nashville (an after-school program for at-risk children), Soles4Souls, etc. We're also looking at serving at our local nursing homes/hospitals and letting the little ones visit the elderly/sick. The women in my group are looking to enter local nursing homes with make-up, fingernail polish, etc. and "dress-up" many of the elderly ladies that no longer feel beautiful. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

**Side note, as I was searching out charities this afternoon, I ran across a new search engine...GoodSearch.com. It has all the access of Yahoo, but pays a royalty to a charity of your choice for every search you post. I haven't used it yet, but I'm anxious to see how it works!

2 comments:

Jared said...

We did a Sole4souls campaign with our youth in connection with a coffeehouse to raise awareness of the situation in Darfur. It's a good idea, but I'd suggest doing something that will get your group face to face with people that need help. Ministry goes to the next level when you can put a face, a story and a personality on it. There's my two cents.

Anonymous said...

A small group at our church has partnered with one of our elementary schools. They go in a few times a year and do maintenance and cleaning and things the school needs. There is also a site volunteer.org/com that you can type in your zip and it gives you various options.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com