With my grandfather's passing to heaven last year, we knew that our Thanksgiving tradition would change over the coming years. We had traveled to Gatlinburg every November since I could remember...always staying at Carr's and cooking the traditional meal in our chalet on Thanksgiving Day. Last year, we stayed home...it just wasn't the same.
Well, this year, my AMAZING, SWEET husband surprised the family with a weekend getaway to The Smokies. Although it wasn't on Thanksgiving, it was great to visit a place that was so dear to us at this time and make new memories together. My mom, dad, Kyle, Laura, Michael, Cole, and I stayed together in a chalet in the mountains off the main strip. The view was beautiful and the weather couldn't have been more perfect...70's during the day and 50's at night.
We all met in Gatlinburg on Friday afternoon, but the getaway began much earlier for the three of us. We left on Thursday morning for Chattanooga to stay the evening with Michael's family. We enjoyed our relaxed day in the country feeding horses, riding 4-wheelers, and playing in the leaves.
Friday morning, we headed to the Creative Discovery Museum in downtown Chattanooga. We had taken Cole this past February and were anxious to see how he reacted to the same exhibits now that he was older. He (We) had SO much FuN!! Kyle and Laura also left home early Friday morning and met us at the museum to share our special day.
After a morning of fun, we traveled the rest of the way to the chalet. My mom and dad had already arrived and were preparing grilled steak, chicken, and the fixins for dinner...now that's a warm welcome!
Saturday morning/afternoon was spent taking family pictures. Kyle took family pictures of us and we also took a few engagement shots of he and Laura. Lunch at Bubba Gumps and an evening stroll downtown (caramel apples, corn dogs, and taffy!) finished off a lovely day.
*Kyle took TONS of pics that I don't have available. I can't wait to see all the ones he took of our family!
Sunday, we solemnly packed and headed back to home sweet home. We did stop along the way for a go-kart showdown and lunch at the Apple Barn. What a WoNdErFuL weekend!!!

I love this picture...they're both checking their seatbelts :)
Mom and I rode together. We screamed like school girls!
Laura is such a sweet soon-to-be-aunt :) She was the only one in the group that could spin (the rest of us get dizzy and queasy...yep, we're old) so she rode the 'spinning' rides with Cole.
Apple Barn!

I treasured this moment...Cole fell asleep in my arms while eating lunch. As he grows, these moments are becoming more and more rare. He hasn't fallen asleep in my arms in public in over a year. I soaked up every minute!















1 comment:
Love all the new posts and pictures! Those family pictures are amazing! And ooh...Apple Barn, that is my favorite! When we were there we met Will's friend Jaden and his mom and dad at the Christmas Place, I think I told you, and over the weekend at the auction they had a chalet that sleeps 6 going up for bid. Shannon and I were talking how we could bid on it and split it and go together. She kept saying, "let's do it!" But as soon as I raised my number they closed the bidding :( We would have had so much fun going together! They are another answer to prayer Adrian. I have prayed for a long time for us to have a couple/family that we all bond and connect with. God has placed them in our lap and it is growing into a wonderful friendship for all 6 of us :)
Have a blessed Thanksgiving friend. I will be emailing you and Karla :)
Post a Comment