Monday, June 18, 2012

My Little Warrior - 14 Months

We are confident the Lord gave us the names for both boys and Cade, meaning 'warrior/battler', couldn't fit his description any better.  Although we pray that as he grows he will battle boldly for the Lord and proclaim His Name, I feel most days that he's battling against me, myself, and I.  It seriously baffles me how two children from the same genetic pool could be so different.  I've heard that many firstborns are calm, compliant, and easygoing while most second kiddos are more active, loud, and require more attention - my boys fit that description to a tee.

I love this 14 month old boy to pieces, but he has stretched me in ways I never knew.  He has required the patience of Job, gives me a daily 12+ hour workout, and is consistently spirited, persistent, determined, and independent.  He keeps this mama on her toes!  

Let's start with mealtime. . .
*  I could put his favorite food on a plate, but if we're eating something different, he only wants what we have.
*  He'd rather eat the whole (banana, etc.) than have it cut up into pieces.  This would work if he didn't try to shove the entire thing into his mouth and cause a choking fit.
*  He refuses most times to be fed by an adult.  He wants to do it all himself - with his hands.  Not so bad if only he didn't rake his fingers through his hair 100+ times during the meal.  Gross. . .
*  He likes to use the spoon and fork - to flick food on the walls and curtains.
*  He now thinks it's hilarious to take a long drink of milk/water and then let it slowly fall out of his mouth like a waterfall - all while making a car noise.  Seriously?
*  When food is served on a plate (rather than directly on his high chair tray), he'll eat a few bites and then proceed to dump the entire dish onto the tray or the floor.
*  The game of 'drop it and watch someone pick it up' has soared to new heights.  So much so, that I had to spank his hand for consistently throwing food on the floor during lunch yesterday.  I think I caught him off guard with my sternness, but he just looked at me and smiled.  Oh my. . .

I'm sure that most of this is normal and completely typical for any toddler, but Cole was SO different - atypical I guess :)  He would wait patiently, eat (rarely making any mess), sit calmly when finished, and quietly play with a toy or look at a book at the table while Michael and I completed our meal.  Amazingly different boys - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Sweet Cade, we love you to bits and I am so thankful that the Lord chose YOU to be in our family.  You bring so much LIFE to our world and more joy than we could imagine.  Some days if I didn't laugh, I would cry, but I know that the Lord placed in you those strong-willed traits for a special purpose and plan.  He created your frame and numbered your days - all for the furthering of His Kingdom.  Praying that your heart will be bent towards Jesus at a young age and that you will make His name famous!

A few other 14 month tidbits:
*  You now have a favorite blanket.  It's green and brown and was given to you by Mommy's friend, Brittany.  It's monogramed with your name and Psalm 139.  I love that you chose such a special one.
*  You still love to ride in the car.  Thinking about turning your seat forward-facing soon.  I know you'll love it!
*  We took a family trip to Chattanooga - my how you changed in such a short time from last year's visit.  You traveled like a pro, but didn't sleep that great in a strange environment.  You're a boy of routine - I like that :)
July 2011 - 3 months old
May 2012 
*  You are a GREAT eater.  You'll try just about anything and usually enjoy it :)  New favorite foods are:  dill pickles, meatloaf, blueberries, sweet potatoes, yogurt covered raisins, doughnuts, and peanut butter (no allergic reaction!).
*  Ten teeth now - all four molars have made their debut.
*  You're not saying many words, but you 'talk' ALL the time.  You point to everything and say 'that'.
*  Tank is your new best friend.  You follow him all around the house, climb into his bed, and love to pet his ears.  Poor dog can't seem to catch a break :)

*  You are a rough and tumble little boy.  You love to wrestle with Cole and will often tackle him from behind when he least expects it.  You also tickle him making the same high pitched sound Mommy makes when tickling you - precious.
*  There has literally not been a day this last month where you didn't have a scratch or bruise of some sort on your face.  It all began with an ugly fall at Grandpa's and has continued since.  If there's a sharp corner, rough edge, or hard surface, your head is sure to find it.
*  You can locate your eyes, nose, mouth, hair, and toes.
*  This Little Piggy, Ride the Horsey, and Peek-A-Boo are a few of your favorite games
*  You still love music and will dance to many of the tunes your toys play.
*  You've begun sleeping later in the mornings and lessening your morning nap.
*  You learned to drink out of a straw.
*  You played in the rain and LOVED it!
*  You raise your hands up when we say 'Ta-Da!'
*  Walking (or should I say running?) is the norm now.  You can get back up when you fall and refuse to crawl anymore.  I love watching your chubby little legs move around the house.
*  Helping Mommy dust and sweep are a few favorite 'chores'.  The vacuum no longer scares you as well - thank goodness!
*  I love watching the relationship between you and your big brother grow everyday.  Listening to the laughter as you play brings so much joy to my heart.



Both boys with their blankies :)
L.O.V.E.

5 comments:

This Is Stupid said...

That made me laugh. I always say that my second child was the one that made me realize it wasnt just my wonderful mothering skills that made my first born so easy! Ha! I'm sure the stubbornness will come in handy some day---it just isnt always easy in the meantime :)

rocki said...

So sweet and so funny. My Noah was so much like Cole. He was easy as pie!! Glad I stopped with one. :))
Your blessed to have both boys and I know you love them dearly.
Really enjoyed reading. :)
Rocki

Brandee said...

I had to send this link to my friend Shannon, her little boy (2nd child) is the same way! I LOL the whole time I was reading this because he is the exact same way!

LeahSchmeah said...

I didn't know you were doing this great log of your boys lives! By the way, welcome to the world of boys! Everett is the calm in the storm, a blessing to all who know him. Wyatt is the rock, whom everyone counts on. Garrett is the catalist, a born leader. Not one is like the other. Cherish the differences in your boys, for they will make each other better men.

Mom said...

You always seem to capture the essence of each child in such wonderful words. I know you are blessed to have them, but they are also blessed to have you as their Mom. So proud to watch the way you handle each situation with patience and 'gentle sternness'. Love you, my precious daughter.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com