Friday, November 21, 2008

See you in the morning...


Yesterday we held the memorial service for Dad G. What a beautiful celebration of life it was. Bro. Courtney Wilson and Bro. Larry Gilmore spoke...we laughed and cried as memories were shared and Dad G's character was praised and admired...such a strong man of faith, integrity, steadfastness, and love. Both pastors also gave beautiful examples of the hope we as Christians have in Jesus Christ when a fellow believer passes from this earthly place into the arms of God. The salvation message was portrayed beautifully and our family knows that the unbelievers in attendance were witnessed to yesterday afternoon...seeds were sown as the Word was proclaimed.
I love the passage in Scripture that Bro. Larry shared yesterday when Paul was speaking to Timothy. Paul said "...the time has come for my departure" (2 Timothy 4:6) meaning his death. I love the wording he chose - departure. Departure is not a finality...it means moving from one destination to another. "I'll see you later", "Wait for me...I'll meet you there" are the common sayings. What a beautiful picture of what the Christian life embraces.
The song "Arise My Love" also comes to mind. It's usually sung at Easter, but the lyrics are perfect for this time as well..."sin where are your shackles? Death where is your sting? Hell has been defeated. The grave could not hold the KING!" Just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. The Heavenly Father watched his beloved son die on a cross for you and me, but oh the JOY when Jesus Christ arose victorious on that beautiful morning to bring freedom to all mankind. What a promise of hope that death has lost its sting!
I want to also thank all of you for your prayers and words of comfort/encouragement over these past few days. They have truly been felt and God's grace has been sufficient for every moment just as He promises.
The pictures above/below are from the dove release that the family did at the gravesite yesterday after the chapel service. It was so beautiful. The first basket holds three male doves that are released first. These represent the Trinity - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. When released they are trained to circle overhead until the final dove, a female, is released to join them. She represents us, the bride of Christ, going to meet bridegroom. When she joins the males, they all fly away together...it was breathtaking.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool.. I have never heard of the dove thing before wow... what a symbol....

Jen Bundy

Holly said...

Adrian, we were sorry to hear that Dad G passed away. I know how close you were to him. It sounds like he had a beautiful "departure" that was full of hope for everyone involved. I'm also glad he was able to have a relationship and many sweet memories with Cole.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com