This year, it is all changing. Dad G and Mom G will not be going because of his illness. He is stable for now, but we know that short of a miracle, this will be his last Thanksgiving with us. It hasn't really sunk in yet...writing it even seems surreal. My mom and I are going to cook them a Thanksgiving dinner on Tuesday and we will all celebrate together at their home for the evening. On Wednesday, my family will head to Gatlinburg (the chalet was already rented and my grandparents are insisting that we go)...but it won't be the same. It's the little things I'm going to miss...hearing Mom G's footsteps early in the morning as she starts a pot of coffee, walking with Dad G to the office to get some fresh towels and patiently waiting as he chats with the staff, reassuring Mom G for the millionth time that we ARE warm enough to go shopping and that we don't need an extra scarf :-)
I think we all thrive on family traditions and I'm having to learn that it's okay when traditions change. Who knows what next year holds...will we continue to go to Gatlinburg, or begin a new tradition with Cole? Although our destination may be different, I have years of beautiful memories shared in the Great Smokey Mtns. with my family that will be with me forever.
To celebrate these memories, my mom and I went through old photo albums and found pictures from 1975-2007 of our times in Gatlinburg with my grandparents. We laughed hysterically at some and some brought tears. It was amazing to watch through photographs how our family grew and changed...from my newlywed parents in 1975 to last year when Mom G and Dad G got to celebrate with their great-grandson for the first time. We are taking all these pictures and creating a slideshow DVD for my grandparents at Thanksgiving. What better way to celebrate all the blessings that the Lord has bestowed on us over the years and sharing all that we have to be thankful for.
I know it's easy to get caught up in the "busyness" of the holidays...buying the perfect gifts, hoping the turkey is edible, racing from this party to that...but I encourage you to slow down and enjoy FAMILY. You never know when it will change...
Dad G reading a book with Cole 
Enjoying a snack with Mom G

2 comments:
Adrian,
I am very sorry to hear about your grandad. It is always hard at first to accept "change" and what it brings. I will be praying for you and your family. What precious memories that ya'll have!!
Carmen
Hey Adrian, I'm so sorry to hear about the changes with your grandfather. It's been such a long painful journey with the cancer and him.
We will pray for new memories and traditions that honor him and celebrate the wonderful heritage that he's given your family!
Post a Comment