Thursday, September 17, 2009

Housebound...Yuck!!

I haven't blogged much this month.  Mainly because we've been so busy, but this past week, a delightful little bug decided to visit our house and take residence in my sweet boy.  We don't think he had the full-blown flu, but he sure was a pitiful little man for three days.  
I know taking care of your child when he/she is sick is part of the motherhood description, but it's so hard!  I don't mean it's hard holding, loving, and comforting them, but it's difficult to know just what to do to make them feel better.  Most of the time it's letting the virus work its way out over time...watching your little one suffer is just no fun.

Cole is rarely sick, but when he began preschool last year we knew that he would begin to catch some yucky stuff before his immune system was strengthened.  Between school, church, and MOPS he's around tons of kiddos...Michael and I cover him with prayers of health every night and know that it's all in the Lord's hands.  
Although I hate it when he's sick, I have learned some things through the experiences over the past three years.  Here's a bit of what I now know...

*  Always keep Pedialyte and Gatorade on hand.
*  Just because your child says he wants a cereal bar, it doesn't mean his stomach can handle it.
*  Cover every area of your home with a towel/sheet.
*  Resolve carpet cleaner works wonders...even on furniture
*  Taking the rectal temp. of a 6 month old is MUCH easier than the same for an almost three year old.
*  It's okay to call the Dr. three times a day.  Even if you think it's a dumb question...it's better than sitting at home stressed and wondering.
*  A temperature of 104.5 is scary, but Tylenol works wonders.
*  The help of a fabulous husband and daddy is priceless.  I am very blessed!
*  Letting your child watch TV 24/7 when they're sick is perfectly fine (I used to stress over this...who cares!?).
*  Don't forget to take care of yourself.  Wash hands often, eat/drink well, and try to get rest to keep yourself from getting sick.
*  You are NEVER too old to call your own mama.  Just having my mom with me when Cole was sick last year offered so much comfort.
*  Follow those God-given maternal instincts.  Mine have been right-on more times than not.
*  Cherish the snuggling, cuddling, and falling-asleep-in-your-arms moments. 

And lastly, your child will never get sick at an opportune time.  It will more than likely be when you have many things planned or a list of things to accomplish.  That's been the case for us this week.  Our schedule should've gone something like this...

Monday:  Meet friends at the park for a picnic lunch playdate.  Plan the weekly menu and do the grocery shopping.
Tuesday:  Michael's Birthday!  Cole would be at Treasure Creek and I would bake Michael's favorite cake (Red Velvet) along with get balloons, etc.  Kyle and Laura were coming over to watch Cole while I surprised Michael with a date night out...dinner at Rosepepper downtown and fun at the State Fair.
Wednesday:  Head to Opry Mills with a friend and her son for a shopping/strolling chit-chat day.
Thursday:  Cole to Treasure Creek.  After dropping him off I was to head to a friend's home in White House for a fun scrapbooking day.

Instead, our week looked like this...
Monday:  At home...Cole got sick Sunday night.  Call the Dr. to discuss symptoms.
Tuesday:  At home...Cole woke up sick again even after a better day/night yesterday.  Call Dr. again.
Wednesday:  At home...Cole is feeling better, but is still not 100%
Thursday:  At home (get me out of this house!!).  Cole seems well, but the Dr. said the virus can stay in their systems for up to 7 days.  Better not chance taking him to school.  Maybe we'll head out to a consignment sale...

Although it's been no fun being at home, I've actually gotten quite a bit of cleaning/organizing done.  Cole and I have also had some precious one-on-one time together that I wouldn't trade for anything :-)  Here are some pics from our week...

Watching TV and resting on Monday/Tuesday

Feeling better...playing with Daddy


Wednesday:  Making surprise cupcakes for Daddy (since our other plans were thwarted)








Happy Birthday Daddy! (one day late)



Cole LOVES to help me clean.  Laundry is a favorite :-)
 
Hopefully, we've got our sickness out of the way and will stay well through the remainder of flu-season.  Cole actually already had his flu shot...even though he got sick, I'm sure it could've been MUCH worse had he not had some immunity from the vaccine.
Here's to healthy homes!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

So sorry Cole was sick and you were homebound. I'm glad he's feeling better now. Side note: Eli has those same dinosaur pj's and loves them!

Brandee said...

Love the new fall look!! I hate that you guys had a week like this, I so understand! Will started sneezing yesterday and today he is somewhat congested. The rainy, moldy days make it worse for us and being that it has been like that all week I think it has caught up with him. Hopefully the sun will come out soon and dry it up some and he will be better before anything settles in there. I am headed out to whole foods in a minute to get us all some better alternatives to the processed stuff they eat. I think upping his nutrition will make a huge difference as well.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com