Monday, September 21, 2009

Monday's Menu

I haven't posted a menu the past two weeks...big apologies to all my menu fans (all two of you...ha!).  One week was crazy busy and Cole was sick most of last week.  I'm glad to be back on schedule of making my menu and doing my weekly grocery shopping.  I know Michael will appreciate some healthy, home-cooked meals this week too :-)  
Here's what I've got planned...

Monday:  Pecan Crusted Chicken Tenders Salad w/ Maple BBQ Dressing
Tuesday:  Rosemary Steak (here's hoping the rain takes a break so Michael can grill), twice baked potatoes, parmesean green beans, rolls
Wednesday:  Big Family Birthday dinner at Buca di Beppo
Thursday:  Chicken casserole, fresh corn, baked apples
Friday:  Crock-pot Vegetable Beef Stew w/ Cornbread - head to CCHS football game!

A friend of mine has recently begun a new journey to healthy eating.  She has suffered from chronic illness for 5 years and the Lord has finally shown her what she needs to strengthen her body and renew her spirit.  She's also begun posting some weekly menus/recipes and I will be 'borrowing' a few for my blog as well.  They sound delicious!  The steak recipe below is one she posted this past weekend...can't wait to try it!
* To check out Brandee's journey to good health, check out her blog A Journey to Health.

Grilled Steaks with Rosemary
2 boneless sirloin steaks (each about 1 1/2 pounds and 3/4 inch thick)
1 small bunch fresh rosemary
6 medium garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 TBSPs lemon juice
6 TBSPs extra-virgin olive oil

With a sharp paring knife, make small slits about every inch over both surfaces of steaks. Remove leaves from 2-3 rosemary springs and insert 1-2 leaves in each slit. Place steaks in a shallow pan that will hold them in a single layer. Combine garlic, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a small bowl and mix well. Stir in oil and pour over meat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2-6 hours or overnight, turning several times. 

To cook meat, remove from marinade. Arrange a rack 5 inches from heat source, spray rack with olive oil and preheat grill. When grill is ready, cook steaks until medium-rare, 3-5 minutes per side. Watch carefully, since cooking times will vary with type of grill and intensity of heat. Alternatively, broil steaks 4-5 inches from heat for 3-5 minutes per side. To serve, place steaks on a warm serving plate and garnish with a cluster of remaining rosemary sprigs. Cut each steak into 3 portions. 

Makes 6 servings. 
From Eating Your Way to Good Health by Dough A. Kaufman and Jami Clark, R.N. 

2 comments:

Allen and Jessica said...

Hey, girl!! Just got your comment on Facebook. I've been away from the computer all weekend. We would love to borrow fall/winter clothes if you have any that would fit Jonah. The summer clothes you shared with us have really come in handy! I will return those very soon, when the weather gets a bit cooler. Thank you a hundred times!! We are so grateful!

Brandee said...

Let me know how you like the steak :) We ended up going to see "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" after Will took a nap so I did not make that on Saturday. I froze the steaks and that is what we are going to have this coming weekend. I told John I wanted to try to stick to these menus as close as possible because that is what I am buying the food for and it is just so hard for me to eat out now. I rather be home and cook than try to round something up out at a restaurant. Thanks for mentioning me on your blog :) I am fighting a flair-up right now. I know it is from all the rain and from feeding the neighbor's pets and being around all that dander. I am going to rest today and tomorrow so I will feel good by the end of the week. Have I told you about Moms In Touch yet? I have to be in Hendersonville on Thursday for a luncheon for that. Then Friday is the big game. Go Colts! We will have to look for you guys :)

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com