Today marked Day 2 of our journey as we read the One Year Chronological Bible - NLT. I wish I could describe to you all of the amazing things the Lord is revealing through the Scriptures. Accounts of creation which I have read many times are becoming new and alive. . . my cup overflows! One of the things that has blessed my heart the most is reading what other women on this journey are learning as well. We all follow Wendy Pope's blog (Experiencing The Real Meaning of Free) and leave comments as the Lord prompts with what He has shown us that day. Monday-Friday, Wendy also posts a message with some encouraging words and Scripture and leaves the weekends for Open Blog.
I have a journal to record my daily thoughts, questions, Scripture references, prayer requests, praises, and other pertinent information. I thought one journal would be enough, but I'm finding that I may fill two or three by the time the year comes to an end :) Something all of us ladies are journaling are three points to ponder as we read the passage for the day. . .
1) Name something I read today that was familiar but heard in a new way
2) Name something that I did not know before today's reading
3) Name one truth or 'nugget' from today's reading that I can apply to my life
This has been easier than I thought. . . I always have two or three things to scribe :)
Along with reading our passage for the day, Wendy has encouraged all of us to DIG in the Word and truly seek what God has for us that day. She gave four websites which I've already begun to use in my study - check them out!
* www.biblegateway.com - allows you to look up verses in other translations (important since we're reading the NLT)
* www.studylight.org - research the original Hebrew and Greek origins of words.
* www.ewordtoday.com/comments - commentaries on every verse of the Bible by noted Biblical scholars
* www.easyenglish.info - for those words/terms/phrases that you may not understand
Talk about digging in the Word, I just HAVE to share something that a fellow reader commented today. We read Genesis 4-6 (a lot to learn from those 2 short chapters!) and one part recounts the lineage of Adam to Noah. This can also be found in 1 Chronicles 1:1-4. I've read over this many times and have to admit that I didn't give it much thought today - until I read this comment by a lady I know as Grace and Peace. . .
Dr. Missler said that proper names are not translated in the Bible so they retain their Hebrew origin. But if you derive the English meaning of each name we see this:
Adam - Man
Seth - Appointed
Enosh - Mortal
Kenan - Sorrow
Mahalalel - The Blessed God
Jared - Shall come down
Enoch- Teaching
Methuselah - His death shall bring
Lamech - The despairing
Noah - Comfort, rest
Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow; (but) The Blessed God shall come down teaching (that) His death shall bring the despairing comfort (and) rest.
The summary of the Christian gospel tucked in Genesis. It shows that God's plan of redemption is not a knee-jerk reaction, according to Chuck Missler. He also said that this is further evidence that the origin of this message is from outside of our dimensions of space and time. He could not imagine a bunch of Jewish Rabbis inserting that in the Torah.
Is this not AMAZING! What a Glorious God we serve!
This is only a taste of what the Lord is revealing through His Word. I invite you to join with us on this journey (visit Wendy's Site and click on Read Thru The Word) or begin a journey of your own.
"For the word of God is ALIVE and POWERFUL. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires." Hebrews 4:12
Falling in love with God's Word,
Adrian

2 comments:
I am so glad you are doing this! When I saw you post yesterday I just smiled :) This year is going to be so amazing! I wrote down in my journal what Grace and Peace said as well, was that not the most amazing thing?! Maybe more will join us after reading your post on here.
Love you!
What a great goal for the year! And such a nice support group. I did the same a year ago with one friend and it was fantastic to have someone to keep me accountable. It was my first time to read cover to cover so it helped put a lot of things in perspective. Loved it! My new system is to read one book of the NT each day for an entire month. So far so good!
Post a Comment