Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Weekly Menu

New Year - new menu!  That is my motto for 2010.  I'm going to be trying some new dishes this year and really trying to steer clear of our 'usuals'.  This has been agreed to by my somewhat picky husband (the man doesn't eat cheese or pasta - yikes!) who is wholeheartedly behind my endeavor.  I guess I was inspired by Julie and Julia :)

The past few months I have not posted our weekly menu.  To my faithful followers, I apologize.  We've been busy floating here and there for holiday parties and family events, so our routine meal-planning took a short vacation.  
Happy to say that I'm back to writing out my meal plan on Sunday and doing the shopping on Monday morning.  Here's our menu for the week:

Monday:  Spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic bread, salad
Tuesday:  Southwestern Chicken skillet
Wednesday:  Homestyle meatloaf, corn-on-the-cob, baked potatoes
Thursday:  Working MOPS night for me - Michael and Cole will have a daddy/son date with other fathers/sons watching the Rose Bowl.  Daddies will watch and the sons will play :)  Pizza and game-day fixin's for dinner :)
Friday:  Chicken pot pie, tossed salad

Saturday/Sunday is usually filled with at least one meal at my parent's home (lunch or dinner) and leftovers.  Soups are also a Saturday favorite!
If you have any delicious recipes, please pass them my way!  I'm always looking for something new!

Southwestern Chicken Skillet:
1 Tbsp.  vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 (14 oz.) bag frozen corn, red bell pepper, and broccoli mix - Mexican blend
1 can black beans; rinsed and drained
1 c. thick and chunky salsa
2 c. coarsely crushed tortilla chips
1 c. shredded Cheddar cheese (Mexican blend taste great if you have it on hand)

Heat oil in a 10 in. skillet over medium high heat.  Cook chicken in oil, stirring occasionally, until brown.  Stir in vegetables, beans, and salsa; reduce heat to medium.  Cover and cook 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp tender.  Top with tortilla chips and cheese.  Cover and cook about 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.  
Yields 4-6 servings.
From my Sumner Co. School Nutrition cookbook "Our Best Recipes"

2 comments:

Christine Satterfield said...

Sounds great!

Mark is at SBTS this week so he's going to miss the daddy/son time on Thursday. Hope your boys have a blast!

This Is Stupid said...

That looks good! I'll have to try it. I'm always looking for new things to try, too. I ALSO have a picky husband, so it gets tough to be creative in the kitchen! ha!

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com