The phrases he says these days are hilarious! Here is just a brief excerpt of what's brought laughter to our hearts these past few months. . .
* Cole is really into rhyming words lately. The words can be real or made-up. The sillier the better! One evening he was naming words that rhymed with parts of his body. When he got to ear, he exclaimed, "I know! Beer!" Oh my.....
As a disclaimer, I have NO IDEA where this came from - after some probing, he actually had no idea what 'beer' is. Just a word he thought he made up! Ha!
* Can you please turn off the sun Mommy? It's hurting my eyes.
* Michael and Cole have a routine of getting the mail each day (ours runs late - around 3:00). Cole likes to help with the mailbox and is always anxious to see if his new Imagination Library book has arrived. One frigid afternoon, Michael decided to run out quickly and just let Cole stay inside. Cole was preoccupied with toys and didn't mind. It just so happened that Cole got a letter in the mail from his preschool teacher that day. Michael came in and said, "Cole! Look what came for you in the mail today!" Cole's reply - "Oh! A bill!"
Soon enough son, soon enough.
* While picking a book to read for naptime, Cole found one of his pacifiers that he used as a baby. How it ended up behind books, I'll never know. Perhaps it was his secret stash?
Anywho, he popped it in his mouth and we both began to laugh (I must admit that my eyes teared over as well - where has my baby gone?). Our conversation then went something like this:
Mommy: You are so silly! Do you need this paci anymore?
Cole: No (Laughing)
Mommy: Why?
Cole: Pacis are for babies
Mommy: That's right. Are you a baby anymore?
Cole: No
Mommy: What are you? (expecting 'big boy' for the answer)
Cole: A girl.
Needless to say, he and daddy had a talk that evening.
* This next moment took place over the Thanksgiving holiday. If you are fans of the movie 'Christmas Vacation', I hope this reminds you of the dinner table scene with the grandmother's prayer.
My family was gathered around the table for our Thanksgiving feast and enjoying conversation with one another. My grandmother had asked Cole to sing Amazing Grace to which Cole belted out all four verses (we usually discourage singing at the table, but who can refuse a sweet great-grandma the pleasure of hearing a favorite hymn through the sweet voice of a three year old?). She then asked him to recite John 3:16. Cole proudly began "For God so loved the world that he gave His only son, that through the river to which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all".
Not sure what translation this is from, but I've yet to find it at Lifeway.
* Michael thought it would be funny to teach Cole the phrase "Hasta la vista, baby" when playing around the house. Never did we imagine that he would quote this perfectly to three elderly women at Wendy's one evening.
Women: What a cute little boy!
Me: Thank you - Cole say hello to the ladies.
Cole: Hi! How are you?!
Women: Oh! How sweet! We're fine. How old are you?
Cole: I'm three.
Women: What a smart boy! Enjoy your dinner.
Cole: Good night! Hasta la vista, baby! (Michael, Papa, Gigi, and myself are all cracking up at this moment)
Women: Awww - he knows Spanish :) (We're REALLY cracking up now)
Although Cole brightens our day through these funny moments, it's the sweet sayings Michael and I savor the most. His talk of Jesus and how he arose from the dead (He's not dead anymore! He's alive! He's so powerful!), his prayers at mealtime and before bed, listening to him sing praise songs, and his "I love you" are what we cherish. It's amazing watching his little mind grow in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus. I'm so thankful that God chose us to be a part of this journey - what a beautiful gift!

1 comment:
This is priceless! My favorite with Will right now is "Will World." You would be amazed my friend on what goes on in Will world! This child has traveled to Japan and Brazil, he has captured every bug imaginable and even played Mario with Mario, lol. I wrote him all about Will World in his birthday letter. I think we should write a children's book about this special place :)
PS I will let you know if I find that John 3:16 translation ;)
Post a Comment