Valentine's Day has always been an enjoyable holiday (okay. . . maybe not through the teenage years), but has never been a favorite holiday of mine. Roses aren't my style (give me Gerber daisies and you've captured my heart!), I don't have a sweet tooth, and I try to show my friends and family how much I care the whole year through.
Although I wouldn't categorize February 14 in my top five, I do enjoy the awareness it brings to say those three little, powerful words and all of the fun activities/creative ways people use to show their affection for one another.
Michael and I have enjoyed surprising each other over the past 12 years (WoW!) and now enjoy spending this treasured 'love day' as a family with Cole. When pondering over my Valentine's Day favorites, two years came to mind...
Love Day 2003:
I had been struggling with a student since Sept. and my strength was almost gone (I interject that without the Almighty, Unfailing, Ever-Faithful, GRACE of God, I would not have made it!). I knew that we would probably go out to dinner that night - I just didn't have it in me to make a fancy meal. When I got home that afternoon, Michael had left me a card in the bathroom with a handwritten poem telling me when to be ready. I prettied myself and was ready for a night out :) Michael came to get me (had even begun warming the car) and instead led me up the stairs to our bonus room. When I entered, I was brought to tears by what I saw: A candlelit table had been set-up in the center of the room with a delicious dinner on our wedding china. Christmas lights had been strung around the room casting a soft glow. . . favorite songs were quietly playing in the background. Needless to say, we spent the night IN :) We also began Valentine journals that year. On each V-Day, we pull out our journal, reflect over the past year and how our love has grown, and write a love note to one another. It is something that I will always cherish.
Love Day 2009:
This year, we spent a fun-filled day together as a family of three. We visited the Train Expo at the convention center downtown, enjoyed a delicious lunch at Dalt's Diner and then headed home for a yummy home-cooked meal :) We rounded out the evening watching Cole enjoy his Valentine basket filled with little goodies and munched on chocolate cupcakes with raspberries. It was a low-key day, but filled with wonderful memories! Click here and here to see more about this special day!
As I began to ponder about what I could do different this year, a friend of mine passed along a cute idea. As Valentine's Day approaches, give your spouse a little gift everyday with a note attached stating your love and appreciation for him. I LOVED this idea and began yesterday - 10 and counting! Here's a rundown of what I'm planning. . .
Day 10: You will always have my HEART
I bought a heart balloon, box of heart candies, and an oversized card where I wrote a love note (don't worry, I'll spare you the details :)). I left these in his office for him to find when he returned home from work - he was so surprised and loved it!

Day 9 (today): Thank you for your involveMINT with Cole and your encourageMINT to me as a mother. (Junior Mints)
Day 8: I love you to PIECES! (Make a heart shaped puzzle for him to put together)
Day 7: You are the WRITE man for me! (Pens/funny notepads)
Day 6: Thank you for always shining the LIGHT of God's love to others and being the spiritual head of our home. (Flashlight)
Day 5: You are a LIFESAVER! Thank you for all you to do provide for our family. (Bag of LifeSaver candies)
Day 4: My hugs and KISSES are only for you! (Bag of Hershey kiss w/ almond candy)
Day 3: I'm NUTS about you! (A bag of his favorite trail mix)
Day 2: ORANGE you glad the Lord brought us together and made us for each other? (Orange/Tropical scented air freshner for his office and a clementine - his favorite fruit)
Day 1: DEW you know how much I love you? (Mountain Dew)
Valentine's Day! Cole and I are making Michael a heart shaped cake (use one square and one round cake - turn the square to make a diamond and cut the circle in half to make the two tops of the heart). I'm also hoping to make a big "We Love You Daddy" banner and tape it to the outside of the garage door. When we leave for church on Sunday and the door closes, he'll be so shocked!
I hope that you enjoy sharing the most amazing LOVE ever known to man this holiday - the precious, unchanging, ever-faithful love of Jesus Christ. His love never fails!
*I'd love to know any special holiday traditions or fun activities you do with your children/spouse. Always looking for great ideas!

2 comments:
How fun! John and I are actually going on a date next Saturday for Valentine's :) We have not been out in SOOO long and I suggested we go see a movie, our favorite thing to do together since we started dating, and see if Grandpa can watch Will for the afternoon. I am excited! I did think of something today I might get him even though we said we were not doing gifts. He has been wanting a new pillow like I have and I thought that would make a good Valentine. He is not really a chocolate person and we are going to be on cake over load after Will's party on Friday :)
Happy Valentine's Day Friend!
WOW, you are so good at honoring and recognizing your hubby! That is really sweet!
Post a Comment