Being selective has always been a struggle for me...probably because I have a hard time telling people "no". If someone came to me with a need (especially in a church setting), I was usually quick to volunteer or sign up for a task. I then came to realize through Bible study, specific devotions, and encouragement from friends, that "being busy" is not what a fulfilled Christian life is all about. It's okay to say no! Yes, we are to serve through the church, love our neighbors, help manage our households, and mold our little ones...but we are to do it all by searching out what is God's BEST for us. I've learned that I want to do a few things well rather than do alot of things mediocre. I also know that if I only take on what the Lord has planned for me, then that frees up another act of service that He has planned specifically for someone else.
Michael and I are members of a large church where the serving opportunites are endless. Although there are many needs, we've found freedom and joy in seeking the Lord and asking Him where we are to serve...not just signing up for everything that comes our way. Currently, I serve on a monthly preschool rotation and Michael serves as a greeter. We are also members of a FABULOUS small group and are very active with our class activities. For now, this is what the Lord has for us. Teaching preschool, taking an active/leadership role in the Women's Ministry, joining the Missions prayer team/crew, working in Java Central, etc. are definitely "likes" of ours and may come to fruition in the future. We'll just see where the Lord leads!
On a personal note, I'm also looking forward to sitting back and simply enjoying MOPS this coming fall. Since Cole was born, I've taken a leadership role in this organization (and loved every minute of it!), but now it's time for me relax and just enjoy the fellowship with other moms. I know that sounds selfish, but I truly think that everyone has times of service and times to be fed both emotionally and spiritually. That time has come for me...and I'm sure my time of service in this wonderful arena will come around again :-) I'm also looking forward to furthering my Uppercase Living business. It has truly become a passion of mine. It has been amazing to see the Lord's blessing on this new business adventure and to share His love with total strangers.
Dear friends, keep seeking the Lord in every aspect of your lives...you won't be disappointed!

2 comments:
Amen! Great blog Adrian! William and I really try and stick to what we have going and not over commit. Does not always happen...but what we strive to do. Proud of you guys and excited what the Lord is doing through you.
Charis
Wow was this ever a word in due season for me! This was a WONDERFUL post Adrian! It is exactly what I have been struggling with and sensing in my own life as well as my season in MOPS comes to a close. I am ready to let others lead and just relax and enjoy being a MOPS mom, which I never really got to do since I started. Wow, is all I can say! This is so where I am in my life right now. I was posting on the P31 sight where I read the blog daily with our daily reading how we should not have to be on medication to serve the Lord! I need to find that balance in my life to take care of my health, my family and still serve Him. I have emailed Pastor Bob and told him today was my last day and Amanda is now Coordinator. It was a sad but freeing moment as I let go and move on to the next phase. I am so excited though as to where God is sending me in the future and the ministry He has placed in my hands with Proverbs 31. The priviledge of praying for people and lifting to the Lord week after week is more than I can even tell you in words. I am LOVING serving in this way and really digging into scripture and prayer. I am learning how to not only pray for them but for myself. I have seen over and over the past 6 weeks how my struggles in life have enabled me to pray for others in their struggles. Know friend you are in my prayers and I know God will lead us both to His exact place and plan where we can be the brightest lights for Him. I love you!
Post a Comment