Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cole's First Day

Despite a fitful night's sleep before his first day, Cole awoke happy and ready to go to school.  He was excited to see his friends again, and kept talking about all the fun things he thought they would do at school.  
After getting ready and eating a yummy breakfast, it was time to head to the church.  Of course, I took a few photos from the house before we left...Cole actually posed for me (a shocker!).  Although he didn't want to carry his backpack, he did want to hold his lunchbox.  He said he liked the ' blue camafauge' on it (camouflage).


Michael went with Cole and I for his 'first morning' drop off.  The whole way to school, we kept talking about all the fun he would have and how mommy and daddy would be back to get him.  He seemed to agree wholeheartedly in the car, but quickly changed his mind as we neared his classroom door.  After a quick hello chat with his teacher, I handed her my tearful, crying for mommy little boy.  Talk about ripping your heart out!
I also believe I was just as nervous about his first day.  After grocery shopping, I headed home to do a few things around the house, all the while keeping my eye close on the clock.  Mildly because I'm always afraid I'll lose track of time and be late picking him up, but also because I couldn't WAIT to see my sweet boy again.

Michael, Kyle, and I went to pick him up that afternoon.  I was so relieved to see Cole smiling and playing as we approached the door.  His teachers commented that he had a great day and said that he really enjoyed 'circle time'.  That came as no surprise to me...he loves to learn!
The whole way home, Cole talked about his day.  He told about how they painted apples while learning about the letter A, they played on the playground and had to hold the rope and 'be very quiet' as they walked through the hall, and he played blocks and trains with his friends.

I'm so glad that he enjoyed his first day and I know that drop-off will get easier every time as he becomes familiar with this new routine.  Here's to a great year!!

2 comments:

Allen and Jessica said...

So SwEeT Adrian! Sounds like Cole's first day was a huge success. I can't imagine how heart wrenching it is to leave your baby when they're intimidated by their surroundings. Oh, the things to come!

John, Angela, and Briley Barker said...

I'm glad he had a great time!! I know it's hard to leave Bri at the Y sometimes, but I'm always relieved to turn the corner and she amazingly stops when I'm out of sight:) Guess they really do know how to make their Mom's feel special!

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com