Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday's Menu

Monday:  Poppyseed Chicken casserole, corn on the cob, crescent rolls
Tuesday:  French onion beef roast w/ carrots and potatoes, salad, garlic bread
Wednesday:  Black Bean and Corn Chili w/ Cilantro Sauce
Thursday:  Sweet and Tangy Kielbasa, dirty rice, strawberry salad
Friday:  Heading to Chattanooga to visit Michael's family for the weekend :)

Recipes of the week:

Black Bean and Corn Chili w/ Cilantro Sauce:  (I know it's still warm outside, but this sounded sooo good!  I also had most of the ingredients already, so it was a keeper!)
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped green bell pepper
1 garlic clove; minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 (15 oz.) can black beans; drained and rinsed
1 (14 oz.) can fat-free chicken broth
1 (14 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies; drained
1 c. frozen corn kernels
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin

Saute the onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the olive oil in a large saucepan.  Stir in the beans, broth, undrained tomatoes, green chilies, corn, chili powder, and cumin.  Cook over medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.  Ladle into chili bowls. (I bet ground beef would be good in this as well if you have a house full of 'meat' eaters)

Cilantro Sauce:
1/2 c. reduced fat sour cream
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. cumin

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.  Top each chili serving with a dollop.

Sweet and Tangy Kielbasa:
1 (20 oz.) can chunk pineapple
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce, or 1 c. ketchup
1 c. packed brown sugar
1/3 c. cider vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. hot sauce
1 Tbsp. horseradish (optional)
5 lbs. kielbasa, sliced (much less for our family I'm sure!)

Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice.  Dissolve the cornstarch in the reserved juice in a saucepan.  Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, hot sauce, and horseradish.  Mix well.  Stir in the pineapple.  Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly.  Arrange the kielbasa in a 9x13 in. baking dish.  Pour the sauce over the kielbasa.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  It may also be placed in a slow cooker on low for 5-6 hours.  The longer the mixture simmers the better!

Both recipes from the "Championship Flavors: Winning Recipes from the Kroger-Titans Team" cookbook

1 comment:

Brandee said...

That Chili sounds wonderful! I am the only one that would eat it, but I think I will make it for my lunch sometime soon :)

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com