Thursday, August 27, 2009

GaTliNbUrG!!

This past weekend, we ventured to the Great Smokey Mtns. to spend time with my family and for Michael to head to the Sharpie 500 Nascar race in Bristol with some buddies.  We had SO MUCH FUN!  Although I've traveled to Gatlinburg at least once a year since I was born, we hadn't been as a family since Thanksgiving of 2007.  Too long if you ask me!  It was nice to spend time strolling the streets, playing in the creek, hunting for letterboxes, and enjoying yummy food together.

My parents arrived on Tuesday and we joined them on Thursday afternoon.  We stayed at the River Terrace (a new place for us) and really enjoyed it.  It was right on the creek, which Cole loved, and the shops were at our backdoor :)  
Thursday evening, we hit the town and ate our  'big dinner out' at Alamo...delicious!  We then walked the streets and enjoyed some ice cream and funnel cakes for dessert.  It began to sprinkle a little (mist really), but that didn't stop us from staying out way past Cole's bedtime...the puddles were calling his name :)

The views from our room:

Playing in the creek:



Puddles!


Friday we awoke to a beautiful day.  Gigi, Cole, and I headed to Pigeon Forge for some shopping while Papa headed back home (he had another race that weekend) and Michael headed to the lobby to do some work.  Mom and I had so much fun browsing through stores and chit-chatting.  We stopped for lunch on the way back to the hotel at the Old Mill Pottery House Restaurant.  What a treat!  A cute place with wonderful food and a beautiful outdoor patio...couldn't ask for better!
Cole loved the coy pond.




After lunch and laying Cole down for a nap, Mom and I decided we'd hunt for some letterboxes in the area.  If you read my blog, you know how I came to find out about letterboxing this past summer at the Hendersonville Park.  Well, I've gotten my family hooked and we brought our stamps, journals, and clues along to find some in the area.  Can you believe we found NINE!?!?  Our most adventurous find was by the Husky Grove Cemetery.  We followed this winding, narrow road off the beaten path to the cemetery.  We then 'hiked' along a dirt trail into the woods.  Along the way, Mom said, "wonder if we'll see a bear?".  Not the words to say! :-)  We didn't see a bear, but ended up with some great stories and fun memories.

We found the first one!  It was by the Chapel of Love hidden in a rock wall.  There was actually a wedding going on at the time!

Another location...it was hidden about 2 ft. up in this holly tree.
  This one was at the edge of a small cemetery on Wiley Oakley Rd.  After the fence ends, it is a straight-down drop off.  Hold on tight Mom!

That evening, we all headed back to the Pottery House for dinner.  It was so good we wanted to share it with Michael.  Cole enjoyed the toy store afterwards and looking at the water.  We then strolled downtown again and savored some authentic sweets from the famed Candy Kitchen in The Village.

Saturday morning, we went to the Little House of Pancakes for breakfast where Cole found some fun friends to ride.

I took Michael to meet his buddies at the interstate later that morning.  They were heading to Bristol and had a great time at the race.  While we were gone, Gigi enjoyed some one-on-one time with Cole and bought him a puppy which he loves.  Of course, he would pick the one with the pink bandana :-)
That evening, Mom, Cole, and I ventured downtown for one more stroll.  We came upon some ducks this time at the creek and I just happened to have some bread in Cole's bag.  What fun!


Stopping to take in some local bluegrass music from a street band.  Cole loved watching them play all the instruments.

Rolling the Ripley's marble ball.
For our last adventure, we decided to take Cole on a trolley ride.  He had seen them all weekend and loved waving at the people as they drove by.  We found one that had the downtown route and hopped aboard.  We got to ride to the top of the mountain (a beautiful view!) and by the Space Needle which was Cole's favorite.
We had such a fun weekend with you Papa and Gigi.  Let's go back again soon!

2 comments:

John, Angela, and Briley Barker said...

What a wonderful trip! I'm glad that you guys had such a great time. I'm very impressed with your adventurous spirit to the cemetery - WOW! Mmmmm, I could go for some Gatlinburg pancakes:) Glad you are back - we would love to get together soon...I'm sure Briley would love to play with the pink bandana dog:)

Holy Cow! Canada said...

Great pictures and what a nice way to finish out the summer.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com