Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

With today being Memorial Day, I'm reminded of a day I spent at the mall a few months ago. Sounds crazy I know, but let me explain...
I had dropped Cole off at preschool, and was looking forward to a morning of strolling the mall. Because the mall stores didn't open until 10:00, I had about 45 minutes to 'people watch'. I saw moms 'power walking' with strollers, young men/women speed walking with their Ipods and Adidas attire, and senior adults taking a leisurely stroll. I too, made one loop around the mall, and then settled in the food court with a yummy chicken biscuit to fill my tummy before a morning of window shopping (who can afford actual "shopping" these days?).
As I ate my breakfast, my gaze drifted to a group of senior adult men sitting just a few tables away. They were smiling and laughing as they drank their morning coffee. I know it's not polite to stare, but the scene was captivating. The more I watched their interaction, the more I wanted to stay and soak up the beautiful sight before me. I could hear them telling jokes, reminiscing about the past, and telling war stories. From what I could gather (through my eavesdropping), they had served in World War II. I wanted to approach them and thank them for their service to our country...for giving me the freedom to drop my son off at a Christian preschool where he could sing songs to Jesus, for the freedom to bow my head and thank my Almighty God for providing food to eat, for the freedom to buy and sell as I please and wear what I choose.
As these thoughts were going through my mind, I pictured a different scene in front of me...not six elderly men; but instead, six young handsome men in army green, smoking cigarettes and dancing the night away with beautiful girls....oh, the stories I know they could tell. I then thought about how beautiful it was that they remained friends and shared in each other's joy and sorrows over the past 50 years.

As a younger generation, we have so much to learn and gain from the wisdom, stories, and knowledge of the senior adults in our midst. We also have many of them to thank for the freedoms and privileges that we enjoy today. I want Cole to grow up with an awareness that the things he enjoys and takes for granted did not come without a price. I want him to treasure the memory of those that paid the ultimate sacrifice of giving their lives and continue to support those that serve to protect us today.

To all of our service men and women, past and present...thank you for your sacrifice to give my family the freedoms that we enjoy today. May the Lord truly bless you and your families.

No comments:

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com