Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday's Menu

Monday: Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, salad, garlic bread
Tuesday: French onion roast, carrots, potatoes, homestyle green beans, rolls
Wednesday: Burrito pie, homemade salsa and chips
Thursday: Cornflake porkchops, yellow rice, okra, baked beans
Friday: Chicken pot pie, salad

I decided to post a few recipes this week (I just couldn't decide!) One recipe is actually from last week's menu. It was a new one for us and was SO delicious!

Tumbleweed's White Chicken Chili:
1 stick butter
3-4 boneless chicken breasts
1 large onion; chopped
2 4.5 oz. cans of chopped green chilies
1 cup mild salsa
4 cups chicken broth (I only used 2 cups)
2 tsp. parsley
2 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. ground red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. cumin
3 cans Northern white beans; undrained

Boil chicken until done (save broth to use later...refrigerate to skim fat). Cut chicken into 1" cubes. In large pot, saute onions in butter until tender. Add chicken and chilies to onions. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes on low. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a quick boil and then simmer on low for 15 minutes. Serve with sour cream and cheese for toppings.
**Next time I'm going to make some quick fried tortilla strips to put on top for some crunch as well.
taken from my MOPS cookbook...submitted by Gina Hooper

French Onion Beef Roast:
1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. flour, divided
1 boneless beef roast (about 3 lbs.)
1/4 c. canola oil
1 can condensed French onion soup
1 packet of dry onion soup mix
1 (4 oz.) can mushroom pieces; drained

Preheat large saute pan on medium high 2-3 minutes. Dredge roast in 1/4 c. flour coating both sides. Place oil in pan; swirl to coat. Add roast to pan cooking 4 minutes on each side to brown.
Transfer roast to slow cooker (use the slow cooker liner bags for easy cleanup!). Set slow cooker setting to low.
Reduce heat on saute pan to medium low. Stir remaining 2 Tbsp. flour into drippings in pan; cook for 1 minute, stirring until smooth. Stir in soup, dry soup mix, and mushrooms; bring to a boil. Transfer soup mixture to slow cooker. Cook 8-10 hours (4-6 on high) or until meat pulls apart easily with a fork.
taken from Publix Apron's cookbook

Cornflake Porkchops:
2 cups cornflakes cereal
1 large egg; beaten
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin top chops
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
4 Tbsp. garlic and herb butter (easily made by mixing crushed garlic, rosemary, and thyme with softened butter...can also be bought).

Place corn flakes cereal in a large zip top bag and crush. Place egg in medium bowl. Sprinkle porkchops with seasoned salt. Preheat large saute pan on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Coat pork chops by dipping in egg; remove, let excess drip off, and add to zip top bag. Seal bag tightly and shake to evenly coat chops. Place butter in pan; swirl to coat. Add chops and cook 6-7 minutes on each side or until internal temp. reaches 160 degrees. Serve.
taken from Publix Apron's cookbook

3 comments:

Brandee said...

The pork chops sound yummy! I do chicken in the oven with corn flake crumbs so I know they make a great coating. I will definitely be trying these, John loves pork chops :)

Laura said...

Glad you posted the white chili recipe... I can put it in my box of recipes. Kyle said he liked it when he was over ,so now thats just one more thing I can cook for him! :)

Holly said...

Jared and I are wondering what burrito pie is? Sounds like something we'd enjoy fixing. Sorry, I would have a question about the recipe you didn't write out :)

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com