Okay friends...I'm going to try a little something new on this blog of mine. Every Monday, I'm going to post my dinner menu for the week. I've found it easier (especially being a mommy) to make out my menu on Sundays and do the grocery shopping on Mondays. That way I can clip coupons, and see what might be on sale for the week. Some people make out monthly menus, have "theme" nights for each day of the week, etc., but I have found that this system is what works best for me.
I also thought of posting to hold myself accountable to actually MAKE my menu and try to stick to it. Not only does it cut down on the $$ of buying food we don't really need, but it really frees up my days without having to think...what's for dinner?? You will notice that some meals are a little more "formal" than others, but hey...who said that grilled cheese and tomato soup isn't dinner, lol! It is also natural for the week to take an unexpected course and we end up eating out, with family, or changing the menu a bit to fit the schedule. That's totally okay and just saves a meal for the next week :)
Along with the menu, I'll try to post the recipe to one or more of the dishes that we really enjoy. I'd LOVE for you to comment and let me know a recipe that your family loves, or just a new dinner idea. Going on 8 years of marriage, it seems like we are constantly repeating our meals. I'd love some new ideas!
Monday: Garden salad and baked potatoes (after all the "heavy" food this Mother's Day weekend, we needed something a little lighter!)
Tuesday: Tumbleweed's white chicken chili and cornbread
Wednesday: Dinner at Nana's house...yay!
Thursday: Jambalaya and rice
Friday: Parmesean chicken, mac-n-cheese, green bean bundles, rolls
Recipe for the week:
Everything Jambalaya by Rachael Ray (it actually only takes 30 min.!)
2 cups white rice
1 Tbsp. EVOO
1 Tbsp. butter
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken
3/4 lb. andouille, casing removed and diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
Several drops of hot sauce or a dash of cayenne pepper
2-3 Tbsp. all purpose flour
14 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice
14 oz. can chicken stock
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
coarse salt and black pepper to taste
Directions:
Cook rice to package directions. Place a large, deep skillet over medium high heat. Add oil and butter to the pan. Cube chicken and place in hot oil and butter. Brown chicken 3 minutes, add sausage, and cook 2 minutes more. Add onion, celery, pepper, bay, and cayenne.
Saute vegetables 5 minutes, sprinkle flour over the pan and cook 1-2 minutes more. Stir in tomatoes and broth and season with cumin, chili, poultry seasoning, and Worcestershire. Bring liquids to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and place on a trivet. Ladle jambalaya into bowls already filled with rice (or top soup with rice if you please). Garnish with salt, pepper, and chopped scallions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Love this idea! I will be checking in on Mondays :) I have tried to do this but never end up sticking with it because John will end up not wanting dinner because he went out to lunch or he is running late fixing problems at work. I would love to try to do this more, I find I end up wasting food more if I try to plan a week at a time. I keep basic things on hand all the time and we just pick later in the day when I know if he has gone out to eat or if he is going to be working late. I have a roast in the crock pot now and it will be a yummy dinner! I will try to post more recipes on "My Dairy Free Life" that you guys might like to try. They just won't have any cheese or milk or things like that in them :)
Great idea! I am ALWAYS looking for some good recipes and trying to plan ahead for the week. I will make it a point to check this out before I do my grocery shopping.
Charis
I make out our weekly menu too! It helps me so much. I will have to try the recipe you posted. Sounds yummy. I hate when it is 4:00 and I have NO clue whats for dinner! Plus, I end up fixing 2 meals most nights-something I said I would NEVER do. Hannah will not eat but a couple of things that we eat.
great idea girl
Jen B
Post a Comment