Sunday, June 21, 2009

Celebrating Daddy :)


Today in church, a song was sung that sums up how Michael feels about being a dad.  We've heard it in the past, but today, Michael had tears as he listened to the words...
Lord I want to be just like you.
'Cause he wants to be just like me.
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see.
Help me be a living Bible Lord
That my little boy can read 
I want to be just like you, 'cause he wants to be like me.

It's hard to express how it thrills my heart to see a Daddy that wants nothing more than to see his son come to know his Heavenly Father.  I know that I am truly blessed.

Cole and I began our Father's Day festivities on Friday night by surprising Michael with Tony Roma's for dinner.  He really likes their ribs, but I'm not a rib girl so we rarely go there (if ever).  We enjoyed our dinner and then went to Barnes & Noble to browse and read books.
Saturday was spent enjoying being home and putting together Cole's new-to-us swingset...it's amazing that we didn't pass out from the heat!

Today, I had planned for Cole to help me cook breakfast for Michael before church.  Well, Cole slept in until 8:15 a.m. so I was on my own for breakfast.  I made Michael's favorites...sausage/biscuits, bacon, and tried my hand at fried potatoes.  Now, these are fairly simple to make (I've even made them in the past), but today they just weren't happening.  We ended up with fried potato chips :)
After breakfast, Cole gave Michael his gifts.  Michael's actual Father's Day gift was his set of golf clubs he got a last month, but we couldn't let the day pass without something to open :)  Michael's favorite gift was the "I Love You, Daddy" book and a letter from Cole (he dictated, I wrote).  Cole told me some special things he loved about Michael (in 2 year old terms), signed his name, and drew some shapes.



After gifts, we met my parents and headed to church for Dad Fest.  Our church hosted this event last year.  It was a huge hit so they did it again!  They have all kinds of 'man club' things all over the church (motorcycles, cars, etc.).  The stage is filled with recliners, boats, and other 'boy-toys', and the parking lot plays host to model cars (old and new), buses to tour, give-aways, hot dogs/popcorn, and live music.  It's such a fun way to honor dads :)  I really love the idea because it's opened the door to many unsaved men and led them to their Heavenly Father.  What a wonderful  celebration on Father's Day!  

Cole made a tie for Michael in Sunday School


1 comment:

John, Angela, and Briley Barker said...

Sounds like such a fun day! That's such a sweet song and has a whole new meaning with being a parent. I'm amazed at how much deeper and different I see my relationship with my Heavenly Father now that John and I are both parents. That card is a for sure keeper too!!

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com