Monday, June 15, 2009

Conviction when you least expect it...

Over the past few months, I've felt a conviction from the Holy Spirit to be more in the Word and commit to memory more of God's promises and truths.  I must say that the "commit to memory" part has been a bit slacking.  I have no excuse...I just haven't done it like I should.

Well, the Lord sure does know how to grab my attention, and usually in a way when I least expect it.  Today I happened to be wearing my t-shirt from the "It's a Girl Thing" night that our women's ministry hosted last month.  As Cole and I were checking out at Kroger, the cashier asked me, "What does Genesis 1:27 say?"  I was taken by surprise and said "Excuse me?"  He repeated himself and then pointed to my shirt.  Under the logo was printed Gen. 1:27.  I figured it had something to do with Creation, but was embarrassed to admit that I had no idea what the actual verse said.  Here I was wearing a testimony to the Word of God, yet couldn't back up what I was proclaiming.  He just smiled and said, "I think it's the part where it talks about God forming man in his image." He went on to say that he was currently doing a study on Genesis at his church which sparked a quick conversation about where we attend, etc.  
I was so thankful that he was a believer, but couldn't help feel an overwhelming conviction about my faith.  I want to be prepared when an opportunity comes along to share the Good News with others...not fumble for words and bring embarrassment to the name of Christ.  I want to put on the full armor of God each day and let His love shine from my hands, feet, and lips.  I'm recommitting myself to learning Scripture (keep me accountable!) so that when the Lord opens the door again, I will be ready to share the Truth that will surely set the world free. 

3 comments:

Laura said...

I know exactly how you feel... last year I felt the same way and was talking to my Aunt about it and she recommended that I buy Beth Moore's scripture cards. I bought some at Lifeway for real cheap and they are great!! Beth Moore also encourages to buy note cards that are spiral bound and to put your scriptures in that! :)
*My shirt has also sparked many conversations.. very interesting!!

Allen and Jessica said...

wow. . . thanks for sharing. conviction sits heavy on my heart as i read. love you, friend.

Brandee said...

I am right there with you friend! My problem seems to be that I can remember what scripture says but never where to find it :) The references are very hard for me to remember. Are you trying to do one a week or how are you doing it? I decided this morning that I was going to write Habbakuk 2:1,3 down on a note card and put it in my car where I can see it everyday so I can learn that one. I had decided that before I read this and after you mentioned yesterday in your comments that you were going to commit it to memory :)

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com