Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Creation Museum

While visiting friends in Louisville this past weekend, we took a trip to the Creation Museum in Petersburg, KY (close to Cincinnati, OH).  When William mentioned going, Michael and I weren't sure what to expect.  After hearing that it was a museum devoted to showing Creation through a Biblical perspective, our curiosity was peaked and we were excited to check it out. 
 
We got to the museum around 10:00 and stayed until 2:30.  There was so much to see, read, and digest as we walked through the self-guided tour.  The museum begins with fossils and dinosaurs...one of the biggest debates among Biblical scholars and scientists, and one of the biggest sources of questions among Christians.  It talks about God creating the dinosaurs, the dinosaurs being on the ark, etc.  The one question I didn't get answered was "what happened to them?"  There was an exhibit called "Dinosaur Den" that we forgot to view which may have answered that question as well as a few more about the dinosaurs.
The exhibits then turn to the inerrant truth of God's Word.  How all things in the Scriptures are true and inspired by God himself.  How the Scriptures were recorded, preserved, etc.  It then has an exhibit that looks like our world today...a culture that has abandoned God's truths.

From there, the museum takes you on a tour of the six days of Creation.  You then go into a room full of beautiful pictures that change showing many different organisms and non-living things that the Lord created.  The commonalities among so many things are amazing...we wouldn't expect any less from a glorious Creator.
The next exhibit is Noah's Ark and all about the flood.  Great exhibit...one of my favorites.
The museum ends with talking about the 'curse'...the consequences on Creation after the fall of man.  Creation was meant to exist in perfect peace and harmony, but the sin of Adam and Eve brought separation from their beautiful creator.  There were many things that I probably assumed, but to see them written, they really amazed me.  Things like...no venom/poison before the fall, no animals eating animals (every living thing was a vegetarian), no fear between man and animal, etc.  Really neat stuff...
Lastly, there is a video titled 'The Last Adam'.  This shows Jesus as the "Last Adam"...the last perfect man created solely in the image of God.  He came to redeem Creation and lay the bridge between man and God.

After you tour the museum at your own pace (about 1.5-2 hours), you can enjoy a meal at one of the few restaurants, stroll the Botanical Gardens, and visit the petting zoo.  They also have a Planetarium experience (purchase tickets when you arrive) that shows the majesty of space and the universe.  We truly worship such an amazing, creative, imaginative God!

I recommend every Christian going to the museum to support its cause and gain some knowledge about the history of the world through Biblical eyes.  It's also great for those skeptics in your life that may not know what to believe.  If taking children, I recommend waiting until they are at least 10 years old.  There is a lot to read and digest...a young child may like looking at some of the exhibits, but won't understand much of what is portrayed.  Check it out on the web for more info...www.creationmuseum.org

Thanks William and Charis for suggesting such a neat outing...we had a great time!  

2 comments:

Brandee said...

Just got a chance to check out all the pictures. SUPER COOL! Those pictures of the botanical gardens are beautiful! I would love to take the boys there someday :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! I had a great time talking to you at church and as always I love looking at your blog and sweet family. :) I wanted to give you my e-mail address, drice19@att.net. If you would like to get together sometime, just e-mail...I'd love to hang out.

Also, if you could please send my e-mail to anyone that you know that is homeschooling (or interested). I really am going to try to create a T/TR tutorial (class) for K/1st grade. I have an amazing Christian teacher, I just need interested moms and then I'll start calling churches, etc. for space. I also would just like to meet other moms who are homeschooling for support and chatting! :) Deanna

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com