Friday, July 17, 2009

Our First Letterboxing Adventure

I've gotten so much wonderful feedback from friends after sharing with you all about letterboxing.  Lots of you have tried it with your families and are having a blast!  Many of you keep asking if our family has tried it...well, now the answer is 'YES'!  

Yesterday, Cole and I went to Hobby Lobby to purchase our family stamp and some ink pads.  We got lucky and happened upon a stamp sale where all stamps/ink pads, etc. were 50% off :)  For our family stamp and 4 colored ink pads, I only spent $8.00! There were so many stamps to choose from...it was somewhat difficult to decide on one that was perfect for our family.  I thought about doing an individual stamp for each of us, but couldn't really find the 'perfect' ones for our personalities.  So...I decided on one stamp for the family.  I chose one that says "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good."  Not only will this be a witnessing tool to all the letterboxes that we find, but it truly sums up what our family tries to embrace.  We strive to give thanks to the Lord daily for his blessings in good times and in bad. 

Now that we had all of our tools (stamp, ink pad, pen, family journal), we were ready to look up some clues and begin our hunt.  I recommend using www.atlasquest.com.  You can type in your region/city in the top right corner and choose a mile radius from that location that you'd like it to search.  I typed in Hendersonville with a 10 mile radius.  MANY letterbox clues appeared...most of which are located right down the road from our home at the park.  We selected a few for the evening and set out to embark on our new adventure.

Our tools...
Cole just had to try out all the ink pad colors before we left :)
After a quick dinner at Subway, we headed to the park to start hunting.  Cole loves to feed the ducks (thank goodness we had some leftover Subway bread), so we let him play for a moment before we began.

After feeding the ducks, it was off to find our first letterbox.  The first one was a bit tricky, but with some help from my manly husband (climbing through all the trees, brush, and probably some poison oak), we spotted it and placed our first stamp in our journal.

Here we go!
What a man!
Cole contributing by collecting rocks and playing in the mud :)
We found it!  Our first letterbox...'Aaaarrrrgggghhhh' was the title.
Checking out all the stamps of the people that found this letterbox before us...very interesting!
Putting their stamp into our journal.

Putting our family stamp into the letterbox journal and signing our name/date.
After finding our first letterbox we decided that we had enough time to search for one more.  Michael and I both really got into the whole 'scavenger hunt' idea...it's so much fun and I can tell will be very addicting!

Heading back to search for letterbox #2


We found it!  Tweedle-Dee-Doo was this title.


Of course, before leaving the park, Cole had to play in the sand and run around on the playground.  We didn't mind at all...the evening was cool and the park wasn't crowded.  It was the perfect evening.
We had so much fun and can't wait to hunt for more soon!  If you'd like to join us, let us know and we'll plan a date! 

Our first stamps in our journal...can't wait to get more!

3 comments:

John, Angela, and Briley Barker said...

Ok, that's sooo cute!! I can't wait for Briley to be bigger and get the whole scavvenger hunt idea. Hey, also I don't know if you have a GPS, but I saw that geocaching.com was another cool way to do the 'same' thing, but different:)

Allen and Jessica said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I've never heard of this before! HOW FUN! I visited the site you mentioned. . . What a magical adventure! Can't wait to do things like this with Jonah!! :)

Holy Cow! Canada said...

That sounds so fun. You are always doing such creative and hands on things with Cole. He will remember these times forever.

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com